Friday, September 21, 2012

Pain, Paint, and Pain Killers

This morning I started out with what I call my "usual" pain. It's basically that all-over body ache. I've been told that it's what the flu feels like, but I can't be sure. I can't remember any day without that ache. When I've had the flu, the only difference was that I had a sore throat and cough.

Anyway, I walked to Sherwin-Williams to get some paint testers for our new apartment. The Management Company said we can paint as long as we do neutral colors. Walking there was nice, but walking back with the box of supplies was difficult. It's only a few blocks, but I seem to get those sharp, stabbing pains more often and quicker than I used to.

The pain is hard to live with, but at least I'll live! Tomorrow my walker is being delivered. I'm hoping that with the walker I'll be able to do things for longer periods of time. Now, my muscles start to tense and spasm when I am out doing things. After only two hours of walking and shopping I'm now having stabbing pain in my shoulders and it's difficult to move my head. The walker should help keep the stress off my shoulders, and it has a basket that I can put things in. It should keep the pain at a steady ache, and help me keep the spasms down.

I know what some of you are thinking, "Why not just take muscle relaxers for the spasms and pain killers for the pain?" I used to do that, but I was up to 5 vicodin and 3-4 flexoril per day. Now, I take percocet and only half a pill keeps the pain to a minimum. I take half a pill when I'm going out to do things. Growing up, I used to think everyone was always in pain. I didn't know any better. Now I know that most people actually have days without pain. I wonder what that feels like...

No comments:

Post a Comment