Sunday, September 15, 2013

Two More Jobs Down

That's right, I lost two more jobs in the past three months. I thought I was doing well, so after two years of trying various fibro treatments I went back to work.

The first job was at a hotel, my dream job really, as the Front Office Supervisor. I lasted about two months, but I ended up being more of a glorified Front Desk Agent then a Front Office Supervisor. This meant that I was on my feet 75% of each shift, which is not what I was expecting. I started having a harder time standing and walking, and my knees and feet swelled to the point of excruciating pain every time I put even the slightest pressure on my legs.

I had been applying for every call center position I saw the whole two years I was home, but having a job seemed to change everything. I got a position at a call center and put in my two weeks at the hotel. That didn't seem to help, so I woke up one day and couldn't move. I called in and then next day, I was able to move but I was incredibly weak and could barely make it down the stairs to the car. I called, and they let me work from home. That night, the pain was so horrible that I cried and screamed the entire shift. The manager monitoring my calls must have thought I was dying, but he was kind enough to keep it to himself. I gave up. It was only a matter of time before they asked me to stop working for them, I mean I couldn't even make it through the shift at home! I had already put in my notice to either work from home or stop working altogether, and they were just waiting for the date. I told them that was my last shift, and that was that.

My husband injured his arm at work, which doesn't offer workman's comp, and was out of work for almost two months while I was at the hotel. Then his Grandad passed away and he left for Georgia. I worked both jobs for two weeks and got my first paychecks from each one, which was just enough to pay rent. We were broke. Our lease was up, rent was raised, and we couldn't find anything in Denver in our budget. We had a choice, either live in our car or move back to NY and live with family. We leave a week and a half from today. I'll try to keep posting about whats going on and how I'm feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment